Friday, March 25, 2011

Sick Baby Follow-Up

It makes me sick to my stomach when my babies are sick.  Alyssa took her first dose of antibiotic yesterday with quite a struggle.  I guess there was a reason the store clerk asked if I wanted flavoring added to the antibiotic.  I figured I would give her a bedtime dose & then after dropping Addy at MDO this morning would stop by the pharmacy to have the flavor added.  Well, she fought the bedtime dose, so Blake went to the pharmacy & had strawberry flavoring added.  When he got back we tried to give it to her & she hated it.  HATED IT!  We finally got it down her throat only to be vomited up 15 minutes later.  An hour later she had vomited 2 more times.  I called the on-call pediatrician & she told us to use suppositories for fever & try to give pedialyte to rehydrate.  Blake went to the 24-hour pharmacy & picked up what we needed.  I was so nervous about the suppository, so Blake, being the awesome dad that he is, gave it to Alyssa while I held her.  She didn't seem to mind much.  She opened her eyes & wrinkled her brow at me like 'what the'.  After that she slept pretty solid.  This morning her fever was back up to 102.5, so I had planned to call the daytime on-call pedi anyway about the vomiting.  I talked to the nurse & she said that the vomiting wasn't likely related to the antibiotic & to try to give her the morning dose with food.  Also, continue Tylenol & ibuprofen for fever.  She said the vomiting could be from either the drainage from her ear getting to Alyssa's tummy or simply the virus working itself out.

This morning was a huge production to get her to take the antibiotic.  She wasn't having it at all!  I tried mixing it with food, giving it to her on a spoon, etc.  Out of nowhere, the Pinky Dinky Doo song started going through my head: If I have a problem, don't know which way to go, I think & think & think AND suddenly I know!  I got a little medicine cup & an eye dropper instead of the syringe & went out in the back yard.  I was thinking if I could distract her then maybe she would take it.  Well, 15 minutes later we finally finished a teaspoon of the antibiotic.  Ahhhh, things we do for our babies.  It's been about 1 1/2 hours & she hasn't vomited, so I'm praying that part of this sickness is behind us.  Right now she's sleeping in my arms peacefully.  

No comments: